Hemyock to Ashculme and Clayhidon
The Hemyock to Ashculme and Clayhidon route is a fairly gentle 7.5 km (4.5 mile) walk along quiet lanes and tracks, with an opportunity to visit a nature reserve and a pub.
With thanks to the Blackdown Hills AONB for this route
- Walk out of the village along Lower Millhayes. After 1km take the first lane on the left, signposted Ashculme. Continue along this lane for a further 1km (ignoring two lanes off to the right) as far as Middle Ashculme Farm.
- Take the footpath on the right through the farm, keeping to the right of the farm buildings, and on to a track through fields. Keep on this track for 1km until you come to a barn.
- Turn right here, and, following the footpath signs, go over a stile, across a field, another stile and a bridge.
- Turn left and walk across two fields towards some barns, where you will come to a bridleway track.
- If you wish to visit Aschculme turbary nature reserve, turn left, over a cattle grid and on to a house driveway. As the driveway bends right, the bridleway continues straight ahead into the reserve. The turbary is important for wet heathland and bog, and has unusual flora and fauna. However, walking conditions are wet and difficult! If you don’t wish to visit the reserve, turn right on the bridleway and go uphill along a tree-lined track for 1km to a lane. Turn right and go 0.5km to a bridleway with a cattle grid on the left.
- Follow this for 200m past a house on the right and on to a driveway. Keeping a low stone wall on your left, go through a gate on to a path. This brings you to Clayhidon church and the Half Moon Inn.
- When you leave the pub, turn right, over a crossroads, to a lane on the right with an ‘unsuitable for motor vehicles’ sign. Follow this all the way down to the bottom where you rejoin the Ashculme lane.
- Turn left and retrace your steps back to Lower Millhayes.
There is a layby at Lower Millhayes at the start of the route where you can park your car. Parking is limited and may require on-street parking instead.
- Dog Friendly