Welcome to Uplowman
Uplowman is a small parish about 4 miles northeast of Tiverton. Its idyllic village lies at the centre of the parish with beautiful views of Mid Devon’s rolling countryside.
Tiverton Parkway Railway Station, off the Great Western main line, is only 4 miles away, with connections to the Grand Western Canal.
- A Neolithic burial mound (or long barrow) was at Craze Lowman (middle lowman) with remnants of axe handles. In the 1980s, however, the mound was levelled for cultivation.
- Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond, commissioned the building of the parish Church of St Peter’s. Better known as the mother of King Henry VII, Lady Beaufort resided occasionally at the nearby village of Sampford Peverell.
- HRH Princess Margaret visited Uplowman Church for the Christening of her godson. The mother of the child, Margaret Rhodes, who lived at Uplowman House, was first cousins with their royal highnesses Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret.
- A leat runs through the village of Uplowman, originally created to drain the fields and supply water to the mill at Sampford Peverell.
What’s On in Uplowman?
- The Uplowman Women’s Institute host an annual Flower Show, held on the third Saturday in July.
- The Mid Devon Show is held about 6 miles away at Bolham. The annual event is the district’s biggest agricultural show and features a variety of live entertainment, crafts, food and drink. The Mid Devon Show is usually held on the fourth Saturday in July.
- August features the annual Uplowman show. The event includes a a historic vehicle gathering, dog show, stalls and games.
Things to Do and Places to See
- Visit the 15th century parish church of St Peter’s. The church features a wooden lectern, placed there on Christmas Day 1897 to commemorate the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria.
- Enjoy a hot air balloon trip – In good weather, hot air balloons are often seen drifting over Mid Devon in the mornings or evenings.
- The National cycle route goes through the nearby village of Sampford Peverell, along the Grand Western canal.
Places to Eat
- The Redwoods Inn offers lunchtime and evening meals. Senior citizen lunches are available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and the pub offers a takeaway option.
- There are two pubs with restaurants at nearby Sampford Peverell.
Image courtesy of Lewis Clarke / Uplowman : Daffodils & Uplowman Sign /
Towns and Villages
- Towns and Villages