Welcome to Oakford
The beautiful historic parish of Oakford lies north of Tiverton near to Exmoor National Park. Although not open to the public, Oakford’s ancient Manor House has been within the same family ownership for over 800 years. Close to Junction 27 of the M5 Motorway and Tiverton Parkway Railway Station, Oakford is conveniently located and easily reached by visitors.
With numerous stunning rural walks through wooded valleys and open countryside, there is no shortage of interest for the keen or casual walker. Most of the walks conveniently start and finish in the middle of Oakford village at the highly-rated ’The Red Lion Hotel’. For those who enjoy walking on high open moorland and along steep valleys, Exmoor is within a short driving distance. Wild deer can be seen grazing both locally around Oakford and on Exmoor, which is also home to the famous Exmoor ponies.
Things to Do
- Excellent trout fishing can be found at the beautiful Bellbrook Valley Trout Fishery, to the east of Oakford village. It has a national reputation as one of the best fly fishing and trout fisheries in the country.
- Stuckeridge Shoot also has a fine reputation, both nationally and internationally, for its pheasant shooting. With drives within Oakford and adjacent Stoodleigh, visitors from around the world travel here for a good day of shooting.
- Visit the Oakford Community Field and try a game of pétanque (by arrangement with the Parish Council). Children can enjoy themselves on the play equipment, or just run around and enjoy this beautiful rural environment.
Places to See
- Oakford boasts the beautiful and ancient church of St. Peter, which nestles in the heart of the village. Known as the cathedral of the Exe Valley for its grandness, The Church of St. Peter is widely respected for its fine architecture and interior. Visitors are always welcome.
- Nearby attractions and sites of historic interest outside of the village include: Wimbleball Lake, Tarr Steps, Exmoor Pony Centre, and Dulverton Heritage Centre.
Places to Eat
- The Red Lion Hotel provides a restaurant and guest accommodation in Oakford’s village. Their regular and seasonal menus feature locally sourced produce, handcrafted into beautiful dishes for your enjoyment.
- Conveniently close to Oakford village in Oakfordbridge is the excellent Bark House Guest House and Tea Room. Only a stone’s throw outside of the parish boundary across the Exe, it is positioned next to the river with gardens on its banks.
- Exmoor Food Festival; every year in February, a range of restaurants on and around Exmoor offer outstanding food at an affordable price as part of the Exmoor Food Festival.
Towns and Villages
- Towns and Villages