Welcome to Cruwys Morchard
Cruwys Morchard is a scattered parish about four miles west of Tiverton along the Witheridge road. The parish is named after the Cruwys family who have been Lords of the Manor there since the reign of King John.
Many notable people hail from Cruwys Morchard including Robert Cruwys (the cricketer and clergyman) and Margaret Campbell Speke Cruwys (a Devon historian). Sir Robert Cruwys (who was knighted for his service in France during the Hundred Years War in the 1300s) and Robertus de Cruwes MP for Devon in 1340 and 1344, are also both from Cruwys Morchard.
The parish church of the Holy Cross was built in 1529, on the site of a former wooden church. In 1689, lightning struck the church tower causing a destructive fire, following which much of the interior was refurbished.
Cruwys Morchard has two pubs that offer food: The Cruwys Arms (a 16th century inn in Pennymoor) and The Mount Pleasant Inn at Nomansland. Restaurants in nearby villages include: the award-winning Cadeleigh Arms at Cadeleigh, Le Petite Bouchée at Witheridge and the Ring of Bells and Half Moon Inn at Cheriton Fitzpaine
- Cheriton Fitzpaine
Image courtesy of Martin Bodman / Cruwys Morchard: Dart valley /
Towns and Villages
- Towns and Villages