Welcome to Coldridge
The parish is situated some 19 miles north west of Exeter and about 11 miles from the ancient market town of Crediton. Surrounded by the rolling hills of Mid Devon, it represents the classic village, where time has virtually stood still for centuries.
Situated on a hilltop, with views as far as the eye can see, the village is dominated by St Matthew’s Church.
Coldridge has no main road, and thus provides a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere. It is easy to access from both the B3220 and (via some twisty, Devon lanes) from the A377 at Eggesford. To find the village centre, punch into your SatNav the postcode of EX17 6AX. However, just a polite request: Please do not park on the village green grassed areas and also allow room for emergency vehicles to get by, wherever you park. Otherwise, please feel free to enjoy the lovely, rural setting of our parish and village.
- The village has an attractive collection of traditional thatched cob and stone cottages amongst more recently built residential properties all nestled on the top of a 450ft hill and surrounded by the wonderful Devon countryside, with our beautiful church taking pride of place in the centre.
- Coldridge has its own Farm-strip airfield at Trenchard Farm, Eggesford, which hosts a large collection of restored Auster and other interesting aircraft. To fly-in, it’s essential to pre-book by phone or email (PPR). Contact details are available on the Eggesford Airfield website. Please observe all noise-abatement rules for the circuit and local area.
- The renowned Tarka Trail passes close by and Coldridge is only 4 miles from the Two Moors Way near Morchard Road. Above all, there are spectacular views across the wonderful Mid Devon countryside in several directions.
- A brief history of Coldridge, courtesy of Mr John Dike: Coldridge, with its hilltop for defences, and the adequate water supplies provided by the River Taw, has probably been inhabited since prehistoric times. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as “Colrige”. This name may have originated from a woody ridge where charcoal burners dwelt. The entry in the Domesday Book is brief – “Colrige/riga: Bishop of Coutances.”. Following the Norman Conquest of 1066 land was handed out to many Norman dignitaries or knights. The Bishop of Coutances held much land in the region. East Leigh was held by Baldwin the Sheriff of Exeter who had fought at the Battle of Hastings. The Normans built a castle in Coldridge Parish, at Millsome, to control the Coldridge Saxons. St Matthews Church was originally constructed in the late 12th Century with various modifications over the years and was heavily restored in 1877. The tower dates from the 15th Century. Up until quite recent times Coldridge was known as Coleridge but the reason for this is unclear. It is possible that both words have the same meaning.
What’s On in Coldridge?
The parish is a place of vibrant community activity, with many different clubs and societies offering all sorts of diverse activities, from Gardening to Knitting, from Quilting to Pilates, Film Nights, Quizzes, Painting, W.I. and much, much more! Look at the website and visit the Coldridge Calendar newsletter to see just what happens here.
Things to do & see
- Take a few moments to sit on one of the Village Green commemorative benches and soak up the views and the peace of the Devon countryside. From these seats radiate a number of footpaths through truly rural settings. You will not be disappointed! Look across Mid Devon’s rural landscape taking in the nearby churches and villages of Nymet Rowland, Lapford, Morchard Bishop, Down St. Mary & Bondleigh; views to the NE edge of Dartmoor and, from certain points, distant views of Exmoor.
- Visit St Matthew’s Church and find out why this isolated village of Coldridge has such a significant church.
These notes were prepared by Coldridge Parish Council, with the kind assistance of Mr Ivan Kriznik and Mr John Dike.
Towns and Villages
- Towns and Villages