Crediton Parish Church
Crediton Parish Church (formerly called the Church of the Holy Cross and the Mother of Him who Hung Thereon) is a prominent building in the historic market town of Crediton. The church stands on the site of what was Devon’s first Saxon cathedral until 1050. A Norman church was eventually built in its place in the 1130s when a collegiate church was established. The nave and chancel were completely rebuilt in the 15th century and still stand today.
The church escaped demolition during the reformation when the collegiate churches were dissolved.
When visiting the church look out for the War Memorial Organ, an heraldic window showing the arms of historic families and a memorial to Redvers Buller.
The church is generally open to visitors throughout daylight hours in summer and winter. Guides are usually available to give church tours for a small donation on Saturday mornings.