Grand Western Canal Circular
The Grand Western Canal Circular is a flat, leisurely route. It follows the scenic Grand Western Canal from Tiverton Parkway Station, returning along the National Cycle Network Route 3 on and off the towpath through the pretty villages of Halberton and Sampford Peverell. Along the towpath you will enjoy variety of scenery from sheltered woodland to sweeping views across the Blackdown Hills.
Tiverton Parkway Station is on the main Exeter – London Paddington railway line. Tiverton is served by regular buses.
You will find village pubs in both Halberton and Sampford Peverell and there are refreshments available at the Canal Basin in season. The Canal Basin also has a Visitor Centre where you can learn more about the history of the Canal.
- From Tiverton Parkway station, leave the station along the access road.
- Turn right at the main road and, after 30 metres, turn left along a track that leads to the Link Road Bridge and a boat-launching slipway.
- Turn left and follow the towpath through Sampford Peverell.
- Continue on the towpath around the Swan’s Neck loop.
- At Crownhill Bridge the towpath crosses the bridge and continues on the opposite side.
- The Tiverton Canal Co operates a horse drawn passenger barge twice daily from Easter until the end of October on the section from East Manley Bridge to the Canal Basin so extra care is needed. Dismount and wait for the horse to pass if you meet it.
- From the Basin follow Canal Hill down to a mini roundabout.
- Turn right at the roundabout.
- Turn right onto Old Road towards Blundell’s Roundabout where the cycle path cuts across the adjacent green and follows the disused railway line.
- At the end of the disused railway line turn right onto Manley Lane.
- When you reach Manley Bridge, turn left to rejoin the towpath.
- At Crownhill Bridge follow the road to the right.
- Follow National Cycle Network route 3 signs through Halberton.
- At the end of Crown Hill road continue left onto Lower Town.
- Then, at the end of the road turn right onto High Street.
- At the end of the village turn right and continue to follow this road.
- Rejoin the towpath at Battens Bridge.
- At the edge of Sampford Peverell leave the towpath onto Chains Road.
- Follow the road until it joins into Lower Town.
- Continue through the village.
- Turn right onto the access road to Tiverton Parkway station.
Take care to be aware of pedestrians along the Canal towpath.
Dismount and walk under bridges.