Crediton to Woolfardisworthy
This route starts from High Street (St Saviour’s Way) Car Park in Crediton.
- Cycle downhill from the car park and turn left into High Street.
- At St Lawrence Green, turn right, almost back on yourself and then immediately left up St Martin’s Lane.
- At the crossroads turn right into Alexandra Road.
- Turn right at the top, cycle to the crossroads (Forches Cross) and turn left towards Sandford.
- At the bottom of the hill, take the left fork signposted Morchard Bishop and New Buildings which takes you towards West Sandford.
- Continue along the road for about a mile to turn right at Aller Cross, signposted West Sandford.
- At the T-junction, turn right and then left by the telephone box. Continue along this road for approximately 3/4 mile.
- At the top of the hill, turn right and then left at the next junction (Ridgeway Cross). Continue straight ahead at Jack Back’s Cross down a steep and winding hill to Stonehills Cross and turn left to Kennerleigh. The village of Kennerleigh makes a good resting stop with Church of St John the Baptist to visit. There is no pub in the village (the nearest is at Black Dog) but there is a village shop open most of the week.
- Leave the village and take the first right. Follow the road round to the hamlet of Woolfardisworthy (actually pronounced “Woolsery”). It is worth taking the short detour on your left to visit the Church of St Mary.
- At Woolfardisworthy Cross, turn right. Follow the road for some distance.
- Turn right at Crediton Cross. If you wish to visit the tiny hamlet of Stockleigh English with its lovely church, turn left at Stockleigh Cross. If not, continue along through East Village, following signs to Sandford.
- At Fanny Lane’s Cross, turn right to Sandford.
- At the crossroads opposite St Swithun’s Church, turn left. It is, however, worth a short detour to turn right to take a look at the village school, which was built in 1825 in the style of a Greek temple. There are shops and pubs in the village.
- Continue on through the village towards Crediton. At the top of the hill, turn right at Forches Cross and retrace your steps back to the Car Park. If you wish to visit the magnificent Crediton Parish Church, continue straight ahead at Forches Cross and turn right at the mini-roundabout to follow the one-way system to the Church. The safest way to return to the Car park is either on foot along the High Street or by returning to Forches Cross and retracing the start of the route.
Image courtesy of Martin Bodman [CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)]