Lots to celebrate for Mid Devon Food and Drink businesses
Mid Devon has exceptional talents and dedication of businesses that have not only shaped the culinary landscape in Devon but have set new standards of excellence. The Food Drink Devon Awards are not just about recognizing achievement; they are about celebrating the heart and soul of our local food and drink community.
We would like to acknowledge the incredible businesses who have demonstrated unwavering commitment to quality, sustainability, and the unique flavours that make Mid Devon a culinary gem.
These businesses embody passion and vision for their product. They are the farms, the kitchens, the distilleries, the restaurants, the artisans, and the innovators who have poured their hearts into every dish, every product, and every experience they offer.
To all the award winners, and indeed to every Mid Devon business that make up our food and drink offer, making our region a place where food and drink is part of our culture and community. It’s fantastic that a number of our businesses and Visit Mid Devon members have been recognised for their hard work, creativity, and commitment to excellence during this prestigious awards night. Celebrated by Amy Dugard (Visit Mid Devon and Growth & Regeneration officer at Mid Devon District Council).
Here is a summary of our winners:
Producer Award Winners:
Rull Orchard (Bickleigh) took home the title of ‘New Drink Product of the Year’ for their Perryote. .
Platinum Producers Awards:
From 300 product entries, all of which were blind-tasted by independent judges, 24 really impressed, achieving a faultless score of 100% and a ‘Platinum’ award.
Deserving Mid Devon producers and their products were those who gained a ‘Taste of Devon Product Award’, Pretty Little Pastries and their Box of Apples (Crediton), Ridge & Furrow Cider for their Naturally Sweet Cider (Cullompton), Stevie B’s Bakery for their Honey Cake (Crediton) and Utopian Brewing (Crediton) for their Fraenkisches Rotbier.
Sustainability Pioneer Awards –
Rull Orchard (Bickleigh) received a Gold award.
A number of Mid Devon businesses were recognised with a Gold award including, Beer Factory and Kitchen (Newton St Cyres), The Bakehouse (Cullompton) for a 2nd year in a row, Mrs Gills (Tiverton), The Hickory Inn (Halberton),
The Kitchen @25 (Crediton) and Veyseys Butchers (Cullompton) both secured Gold retailer awards.
Gold awards for Producer:
- Granny Gothards Artisan Ice Cream (Willand) – “Before Eight” Dark Chocolate Mint Ice Cream (vegan)
- Granny Gothards Artisan Ice Cream (Willand) – Honeycomb Artisan Ice Cream
- Granny Gothards Artisan Ice Cream (Willand) – Lemon Sherbet Artisan Ice Cream
- Hanlons Brewery (Newton St Cyres) – Port Stout
- Hanlons Brewery (Newton St Cyres) – Stormstay
- Hanlons Brewery (Newton St Cyres) – Yellow Hammer
- Hanlons Brewery (Newton St Cyres) – Firefly
- Mrs Gills Cakes (Tiverton) – Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Sandford Orchards (Crediton) – Fresh Pressed Apple Juice
- Utopian Brewing (Bow) – Premium British Lager
- Utopian Brewing (Bow) – Bohemian British Lager
- Utopian Brewing (Bow) – Rainbock – Maibock Lager
- Venton’s Devon Cyder (Cullompton) – Sweet Maid in Devon
Silver award for Producer:
- Hanlons Brewery (Newton St Cyres) – Citra IPA
- Mrs Gills Cakes (Tiverton) – Almond Cake
- Stevie B’s Bakery (Crediton) – Lemon, Lime & Basil Mousse Cake
- Thunderflower (Cullompton) – English Orchard
Chair of Food Drink Devon, Greg Parsons, said: “Devon has a fantastic food and drink scene, one of the best to be found anywhere in this country. Once again, we have enjoyed a record number of entries for the Food Drink Devon Awards and it will be no surprise that we have awarded a record number of Gold and Platinum winners. Our aim with the awards is not to measure one against the other, but to identify products and destinations that we are proud to present as Devon’s finest.”
Devon’s talented food and drink scene was celebrated on Monday 2nd October, it’s 12th Food Drink Devon Awards. Over 444 individuals from the county’s finest food and drink producers, hospitality and catering businesses and speciality retailers celebrated in style at the esteemed awards’ ceremony, held at Sandy Park the home to Gallagher Premiership Rugby team, the Exeter Chiefs.
For the full Devon list of winners visit Food Drink Devon’s website.
Images provided by Food Drink Devon.