Family Activities this Easter
Spring has sprung and with schools on Easter-holidays now, here are five fun activities for you to enjoy with the kids:
1. Complete an Easter Trail
Encourage your young explorers to indulge in their curious natures and have fun exploring places while searching for clues or spotting eggs in one of the Easter-themed trails taking place:
- Knightshayes Court are running an ‘Easter Adventure in Nature’ event. Follow their family-friendly trail with fun activities to do along the way. Complete the trail and earn a chocolate egg at the end.
- Complete the Easter Bunny trail around Crediton by finding painted pottery bunnies in shops throughout the town. Each bunny is a different famous character. Visit Paint Pots of Devon for the trail information.
- Tiverton has it’s own Easter-themed trail throughout Gold Street and Bampton Street with 12 eggs hidden in shop windows. Collect your egg finding form from Liznojan Books then once completed you can collect your prize. Suitable for ages 4-14.
2. Indoor Fun at Local Attractions
While we hope for plenty of sunshine, April is known for its showers so if you’re looking for something to do in the dry, many of our indoor attractions have fun activities this Easter:
- Paint your own pottery at Paint Pots of Devon with onsite café. Based in Crediton, Paint Pots offer kiln fired pottery, acrylic painting or foam clay.
- Head to Bear Town where the Easter Bunny has hidden eggs throughout the Town and needs help from some little bunnies, to find them all. Once all the eggs have been found, each child can collect a yummy little Easter treat!
- Treat yourself to a bucket of popcorn and a trip to the cinema with the latest movie releases at the Tivoli in Tiverton.
3. Enjoy a Family Bike Ride
Time for some two-wheeled fun! Pack a picnic and enjoy some nature spotting while exploring the Mid Devon countryside on a family-friendly bike ride.
The Grand Western Canal Country Park offers just over 11 miles of even terrain to cycle along (please remember to dismount at the bridges). Parking available at the Canal Basin and other spots along the route so you don’t have to cycle the whole path (just stretches of distance to suit your needs). If you don’t want to bring a picnic, there are several food stops along the way including The Canal Tea Rooms and Duck’s Ditty in Tiverton, The Swan’s Neck Café in Halberton and The Globe in Sampford Peverell. If you need a bike, try Abbotswood Cycle Hire (behind The Globe) with direct access onto the Canal.
Looking for something more adventurous? Visit Haywood Wood at Eggesford Forest and bring your mountain! The 3-mile Forestry Commission trail is ideally suited for mountain bikes due to the variety of rough surfaces. Clearly waymarked (follow the wooden posts marked with a red band), this is a fun route through the woods with rises and falls and some steeper sections.
3. Visit a Museum
Learn about the past while having fun exploring, discovering and enjoying hands-on fun at one of our museums:
- Head to the Tiverton Museum of Mid Devon Life this Easter holiday, from 9th to 23rd April for a Spring Celebration. Follow their spring-themed trail around the museum and have a go at some Spring board games. Discover their new temporary exhibition for 2022,’ When We Were Young’, celebrating childhood through the ages with objects and photos. Visit on 12th and 19th April for Crafty Tuesdays – try Easter themed origami and natural collage. £3 per child. Drop in, no need to book.
- Visit Coldharbour Mill on Easter Monday for their ‘Mad Hatters and March Hares‘ event with mad hatters craft tea party and egg hunt.
4. Time for Soft Play Fun
If you have little ones with energy to burn, try one of our soft-play attractions:
- Planet Play in Crediton is an indoor play centre, café and party venue based in Crediton, Devon. Whilst your little stars explore the centre, you can take the opportunity to enjoy a well-deserved coffee in their café.
- Waie 2 Play in Zeal Monachorum is an amazing soft-play barn just outside Crediton, perfect for little ones to let off steam! Relax in the coffee bar overlooking the purpose-built play area while your little angels play.
- Devon Railway Centre in Bickleigh: let your children discover their inner engine-driver! Devon Railway Centre is a fun-filled train-themed family attraction with a soft-play area and much more!
- Monster Mansion in Tiverton is an indoor soft-play and party centre next to Elmore Football Clubhouse.
5. Get Active!
- Looking for some more energetic activities, visit these for more fun!
- The Bear Trail near Cullompton, is Devon’s award-winning family assault course. 30 obstacles, unlimited mud! A great day out for all the family
- Quad World near Bradninch, is the number one family quad biking experience in the UK.
- Visit Wall in the Hall for indoor, top rope climbing in Tiverton. Running school holiday climbing sessions during the week of 14 April.
- Enjoy a family swim! Mid Devon Leisure have pools at Lords Meadow in Crediton and Exe Valley in Tiverton or try the pools at either the Waie Inn in Zeal Monachorum or Forest Glade near Kentisbeare. If you’re looking for a drier family sport, book the tennis courts and enjoy a game at Culm Valley in Cullompton.