British Food Fortnight: Farm Shops & Markets
We’re celebrating British Food Fortnight!
British Food Fortnight is a national celebration of British food and the benefits and pleasures of eating quality, fresh, seasonal and regionally distinct produce. Mid Devon is a land rich in agriculture with an abundance of producers offering locally grown or reared food. For British Food Fortnight, we’re championing our local producers #MadeInMidDevon!
Dotted across our countryside landscape you will find traditional farmers’ markets and farm shops. Meet the farmers that grow the food and connect with ingredients at their source. Find out about where your food comes from, what variety it is as well as cooking and recipe tips.
Discover the sensational flavours and quality fresh produce on offer. Organic vegetables, seasonal fruit, free-range eggs, luxury cheeses, handmade juices, ciders and preserves. Not forgetting fresh fish and meat, (including lamb, beef, pork, venison and alpaca) as well as yoghurt, ice-cream and sometimes even raw milk are all available. You may also find real bread, pies, cakes, ready meals, soup, as well as herb or veg plants.
Mid Devon has several regular farmers’ markets offering farm-to-fork produce, all grown or reared within a 30 mile radius. Due to the current situation with COVID, we recommend you double check opening times with the operators before visiting:
- Cullompton Farmers’ Market: Held on the second Saturday each month (usually from 9.30am to 12.30pm) at the Higher Bullring. Refreshments and hot food are also available.
- Bridwell Park Pop-Up Market: The ‘Artisans, Growers & Makers Market’ is an outdoor Pop-Up Saturday Market adjoining The Orangery Pop-Up Café at Bridwell Park Estate in Uffculme. The Market is held every Saturday, 9am – 4pm, until 31st October 2020.
- Crediton Farmers’ Market: Award-winning Farmers’ Market that takes place on the first and third Saturdays of every month in Crediton Town Square, 10am – 1pm. Seating area with hot food and refreshments available.
- Tiverton Farmers’ Market: Takes place on the fourth Friday of every month, 9am – 2pm, alongside the regular General Market. Onsite café and parking in the Market Car Park.
- Uffculme Farmers Market: Uffculme Farmers Market takes place once a month, offering a selection of local produce (normally the fourth Saturday of every month) at Uffculme Village Hall, 10am – 12noon.
Many of our farms provide farm shops that you can visit at your pleasure. Due to the current situation with COVID, we recommend you double check opening times with the operators before visiting:
- West Middlewick Farm (Nomansland): is a farm with caravan and camping pitches, log cabins and onsite farm shop. The shop offers choice selections of high quality beef, pork and lamb, raw milk, eggs and dairy products and fresh fruit and vegetables. They also sell their own homemade soap, sheepskins and souvenirs. Open 7 days a week.
- Blackberry Lane (Lapford): healthy and flavoursome fruit and veg, grown authentically without fertilisers, pesticides or herbicides. Open Tuesday – Saturday.
- Buscombe Herd Dairy (Burlescombe): dairy farm with shop selling milk, yoghurt, ice-cream and an assortment of cheeses as well as other locally sourced produce including fruit and veg, bread, fruit coulis and freshly baked cakes.
- Exe Valley Farm Shop (Thorverton): situated in the heart of the Exe Valley between the villages of Thorverton and Silverton, conveniently located just of the A396 between Tiverton and Exeter. Onsite café and butchery open 7 days a week.
- Fordmore Farm Shop (Cullompton): located on the Honiton road, just outside of Cullompton, the farm produces organic eggs and vegetables. The shop features an onsite café and butchery and stocks other locally sourced organic produce. Open 7 days a week.
- Halberton Court (Halberton): offers a fine selection of local produce including vegetables, fruit, meat, dairy, beer, cider and much more. Pick your own seasonal fruit (including strawberries, raspberries, currants and pumpkins). Onsite café with footpath access to the Swans Neck Grand Western Canal walk. Open Monday – Saturday.
- Little Tuberfield (Sampford Peverell): selling locally produced meat, poultry and vegetables, homemade sausages and burgers, freshly baked pies and pasties and soft drinks. Open Tuesday – Saturday.
- Pipers Farm (Cullompton): fancy a taste of Mid Devon without having to visit? Pipers Farm offer delivery of their meat boxes to the whole mainland UK, the Channel Islands and parts of the Scottish Highlands.
- Quicke’s Farm (Newton St Cyres): award-winning cheesemakers from Devon. This family farm uses time-honoured methods and recipes passed down through generations to create outstanding cheese; handmade, clothbound and slow-matured to perfection. Open Monday – Friday.
- Red Ruby Devon Beef (Clannaborough): Family-run farm rearing pure Red Ruby Devon cattle. The farm shop sells a range of meat and cuts of beef including their award-winning sirloin steak as well as local produce from neighbouring farms. Open Wednesday to Saturday.
- Thorne’s Farm Shop (Stockleigh Pomeroy): Offer a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegetables on sale in the farm shop. They aso stock other local produce including fresh bread, meat pies and pasties. Pick your own seasonal produce (including strawberries and runner beans) with onsite café. Open Monday to Saturday.
In addition to our farmers’ markets, Devon has several general markets where you can find local produce. Due to the current situation with COVID, we recommend you double check opening times with the operators before visiting:
- Tiverton Pannier Market: Historic market selling a range of local artisan produce and handcrafted goods set in a beautiful Grade II listed Victorian pannier market building. The General Market takes place on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, 8:30am – 4:00pm. Onsite café and parking in Market Car Park.
- Burlescombe Monthly Market: A new market offering fresh local produce as well as hot drinks and food from their kitchen café.
- Chawleigh Monthly Community Market: Held on the third Saturday every month in the Jubilee Hall, 10am to 12noon.
- Cheriton Fitzpaine Monthly Market: Held on the second Saturday of each month in the Parish Hall, 10am – 12noon. Hot refreshments available.
- Cullompton Street Market: Historic charter market, held weekly on Wednesdays, 9am – 2pm at the Higher Bullring.
- Hemyock Market: Normally held on the third Saturday of the month, 10am – 12noon, in Hemyock Parish Hall. A Market Café offers refreshments including their popular bacon butties.
- Lapford Village Market: Held on the fourth Saturday each month in Lapford Victory Hall, 11am – 1pm, with various stalls as well as light lunches available.
- Silverton Market: A regular monthly market is held in the Millenium Hall on the first Saturday of each month, 9.30am – 11.30am, offering local produce, handmade cards and bric-a-brac stalls.
- Yeoford Market: Held at the Yeoford Community Hall, 11:30 – 1:30, on the fourth Saturday of every month. The Market offers a variety of stalls including produce, handcrafted goods, bric-a-brac and refreshments.